Junior Research Specialist
About the National Institute of Urban Affairs (NIUA):
Established in 1976, the National Institute of Urban Affairs (NIUA) is a premier institute of Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs, Government of India, for research and capacity building for urban sector in India. NIUA’s broad objective is to bridge the gap between research and practice on issues related to urbanization. For more than 40 years now, NIUA has been the vanguard for contributing to and building the urban narrative for a fast-evolving urban India. The Institute has been actively working on bringing forth key areas of concern for urban India in order to build the urban discourse at various urban scales. It has utilized its competencies in research, knowledge management, policy advocacy and capacity building to address urban challenges and continuously striving to develop sustainable, inclusive and productive urban ecosystems in the country. It has emerged as a thought leader and knowledge hub for urban development in India and is sought after by both Indian and international organizations for collaborations and partnerships in India’s urban transforming journey. NIUA is committed towards aligning its efforts towards achieving Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) through all its initiatives and programmes.
About the Water and Environment Vertical:
NIUA’s Water and Environment Vertical focuses on developing enabling frameworks, mechanisms, and pathways to help Indian cities manage their water and environmental sectors in a sustainable manner.
Given our affiliation with India’s Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs, our vision and work are geared towards bringing about a noticeable difference on the ground. We support the Ministry in implementing the different national Urban Missions and initiatives that have a bearing on urban water and environment. Additionally, we work with a number of national and international resource partners with an agenda and mandate similar to ours.
Typically, our work in urban water and environmental management includes:
- Developing national level strategic frameworks applicable for all cities to facilitate on-the-ground action in specific domains.
- Preparing guidance documents and advisories for areas where knowledge gaps exist.
- Developing digital tools and instruments to help cities move up the state-of-the-art ladder.
- Undertaking action research on relatively unexplored subjects.
- Supporting the piloting of innovative concepts and technologies through demonstration projects.
- Developing niche capacity building modules and certification programmes on common needs of cities.
- Facilitating partnerships among cities, civil society organizations, academia, international organizations, and the private sector.
- Engaging with different sections of society with a view to target long-term transformational change.
The Junior Research Specialist shall work closely work with Water and Environment Team to carry out the responsibilities listed below.
- Conduct individual research on specific topics, especially in relatively explored areas of water and environment management.
- Collate and scientifically analyse data and information from various sources.
- Contribute in preparing white papers, scientific articles, project reports, book chapters, and other documents.
- Make presentations based on the team’s activities in conferences, meetings, and other events.
- Provide support in conducting workshops and events as part of the capacity building initiatives.
- Communicate with stakeholders and clients effectively to facilitate the flow of project activities.
The Junior Research Specialist shall report to the Lead, Water and Environment at NIUA.
- Bachelors / Masters in disciplines associated with water and environment.
- Up to two years of work experience with strong academic record.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent writing and communication skills in English. Fluency in Hindi is desirable.
- Proficiency with special software (e.g. GIS, Design-related) is highly desirable.
- Prior exposure to the urban development sector (ideally in a central or state government project) preferred.
- Ability to work with multiple stakeholders and maintain delivery standards.
- Willingness to travel to the project locations across India as required.
References: Please provide name and contact information of three references.
Remuneration: As par with the industry standards, depending on experience and skills and fitment with NIUA remuneration structures. Proof of past remuneration (last received salary/monthly contract payment) would be required.
Application process: Submit CV and cover letter through the NIUA portal.
Last Date of Application: 30 September, 2022.